Thursday, January 27, 2011

Questions for 1/27

1. Selfe sees focusing on visual literacy as a first step toward integrating new media in our composition classes (68). However, many popular composition textbooks (e.g. Writing Arguments, and Everything’s an Argument) already have chapters addressing visual arguments. In fact, when I taught at the University of Louisville, the first assignment I have my students was a rhetorical analysis of a visual argument (such as an ad, which also had some textual elements). My students did not actually create the visual argument, though. In making steps toward including new media in our classes, would it be better to ask our students to analyze the rhetoric of new media before we ask them to compose it?

2. Comstock and Hocks advocate the development of sonic literacies (which I kind of like, as I learn well from listening). In some way, is this a return to oral rhetoric, in which delivery and elocution hold a prominent place? How is it unlike oral rhetoric?

No comments:

Post a Comment